Skip to main content

We're trained to be either honest or positive but not both

I'm good at being candid because of my conflict-loving personality. But often what I pass off as honesty is just an excuse for me to rip someone apart in order to make myself feel better. This is both nature and nurture. I inherited my dad's perceptiveness and critical nature along with my mom's quick temper. Awesome combo. My upbringing didn't help either. I often share the story of a basketball game when I was 10 years old. My dad told me I ran around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Around the same age, I remember a teacher trying to discipline me for insulting another student. I reasoned with her that if sticks and stones can break people's bones but names can never hurt someone, then my words were harmless. I don't remember her reaction to my argument. And like many bullies, I could dish it out but I couldn't take it.

Throughout high school and college, my "honesty" helped me lose friends and alienate people. Relational pain   persuaded me to try a different tact. Tell positive lies. "No, honey, it doesn't look like you've gained any weight." Unfortunately I'm not a very convincing liar and often the greatest positivity I could muster was a slight nod wand a grunt. That's about the time I started grinding my teeth.

My upbringing as the child of well-educated Asian immigrants is not unique. I've noticed many of my peers are also quite deficient in encouraging others. The week before in our men's book club, our topic was delivering honest positives. Someone commented that guys giving compliments to other guys is unmanly; it's awkward and unnatural. I can see where he's coming from but the fact that encouragement is both beneficial and counter-cultural is even more reason to do it. And even if your personality is conflict-avoiding, delivering honest positives requires experience, character, and skill. Lastly, it's also a game concept.

Garner writes about a principle of behavioral theory where reinforced responses recur. If we want to increase a certain behavior in others, we can reward it through encouragement or asking questions, etc. If we want to decrease a certain behavior in others, we discourage the tendency by ignoring it. Feed the good, starve the bad. The important thing is not to bring any attention to the bad.

Garner shares an example of a friend who had few serious emotional difficulties and yet during their lunches would always complain about something - the weather, his job, his ex-wife, etc. So Garner tried smiling, nodding, and asking questions when his friend made optimistic remarks (telling about how a neighbor helping him fix his car or running into an old friend). But when he started complaining, Garner would pick at his sandwich or stare at a passer-by. Eventually, his friend became much more upbeat as a result. The net is that it's much more effective to reward behavior you like than to punish behavior you don't like. If only more Asian tiger moms understood this.

The other stuff Garner writes about I'm already aware of and working on. 1) Be specific in your compliments: "William, you rock in that purple blazer" and 2) Say the person's name: I never do this but I can see how it can be beneficial because I love it when people say my name.

One helpful thing I learned was helping other people to receive your honest positive by following up your encouragement with a question. "Your jump shot is consistent and your stroke looks really natural. How did you develop it?" This gives the receiver an opportunity to respond graciously without having to deflect the praise or change the subject. I haven't employed this as much because I enjoy watching people squirm after I say something positive.

However, the most helpful thing I've learned about being honestly positive didn't come from the book. It's something I learned from a therapist. Focus on character and the process rather than performance or results. What we praise reveals what we value. For overachieving Asian Americans, we praise performance and results because we value them over character and process.

I have a friend who attempted a triathlon without knowing how to swim properly.  The race announcer was a friend and even publicly hyped him during the swim portion. My freestyle-challenged friend performed miserably - cramping up and quitting the race after doggy paddling through the lake in last place. During his post-race celebration dinner, I sat wordlessly grinding my teeth in exasperation. Years later, I look back on the event with fondness. I told him recently that I should have said "I loved your audacity and shamelessness in attempting a race like that. I'm going cherish the memory for the rest of my life". I love how the grace of God can redeem my critical nature for good. My gift in finding weakness can be deployed instead to identifying strengths. And I now enjoy the challenge of finding the positive rather than the negative.



Comments

  1. Follow up encouragement with a question. That is genius. I am going to use that one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Dad's Review of Passport 2 Purity

[3,100 words, 11 minute read] The sex talk is one of the most dreaded conversations parents anticipate having with their children. To make things easier, an entire industry exists to help parents with sex education. Dozens of books have been written to help parents navigate this treacherous topic with their progeny. One of the best known among evangelicals is called the Passport 2 Purity Getaway package . It is produced by FamilyLife, a division of Cru (former Campus Crusade for Christ) and consists of a five lecture CD package including a journal and exercises designed as a weekend retreat for a pre-pubescent child and his/her parent(s). Passport 2 Purity was not my initiative. Our trip came about because Judy had heard from several home-schooling mom friends how they had taken their daughters on a road trip to go through the CDs. She even heard how a mom took a trip with husband and two sons to through the curriculum. So a couple months ago, Judy suggested we take our two older boy

Asian American Divorce Rate

I can't find recent data. Most of the stuff is at least five years old but by these estimates, the Asian American divorce rate is about 5%. I've got research from 2002 , 2008 for Asian Americans, and 2008 for Chinese Americans. The latest census data do not break out by race. In any case, a 5% divorce rate is about half the national average. Less divorce is a good thing. I would imagine that divorce does not bode well for personal fulfillment and many studies have shown it has a negative impact on children (too lazy to cite all the sources here). Of course, as one source argues, a lower divorce rate does not equate to a healthy marriage. There can be all kinds of abuse, dysfunction, and strife within marriage. All in all though, a lower divorce rate is one advantage of late marriage for Asian American men (and women). However, I believe a lower divorce rate is correlated with later marriage and there is no causation between the two. People who tend to be conservative,

Why Asians Run Slower

My brother got me David Epstein's book The Sports Gene . It is a fascinating quick read. If you're interested in sports and science, it will enthrall you.  I finished it in three days. Epstein's point is that far more of an athlete's performance is due to genetics than due to the so-called "10,000 hour" rule promulgated by books such as Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell and Talent is Overrated by Geoff Colvin (both which are very good). The 10,000 hour rule states that any person can reach expert level of performance in a sport if they devote 10,000 hours of deliberate and intentional practice.  That's a lot of hours. Most people aren't capable of anywhere close. And that's precisely Epstein's point. Someone who devotes 10,000 hours of sport-specific practice is likely genetically gifted for the sport in extraordinary ways AND genetically gifted in their ability to persevere and benefit from practice. Therefore, a person who can pra