Skip to main content

Why go to college?

My oldest son is now a high school junior. Amidst ministry and raising four children, my wife and I haven’t devoted significant time to college research and admissions.

In a panic over this, I recently went to the library and checked out six test prep books for the SAT, ACT, and PSAT. I was overwhelmed by how much stuff is out there and realized I should have started preparing for this years ago. I’m fully aware there are parents out there who have invested many hours plotting out their child’s path to elite college admission and don’t even have children yet. 

I want to jump on the college admissions treadmills and start sprinting as fast as possible to catch up. I’ve learned enough about myself that when Im caught up in this frenzy, it’s helpful to pause and ask, “Why am I doing this?"

That’s exactly the question my friend and fellow UC Berkeley alum, Iris Chen, has been asking about her kids education. She has two young sons and recently started a blog about her unschooling experiment. I think she’s crazy, in a good way. She’s a prophet and she slays sacred cows, especially education, which is undoubtedly the idol of overachieving Asian Americans.

My disagreement with Iris is one of degree not of kind. I support her underlying premise if not the extent to which she carries it out. So I ask myself, to be ruthlessly honest, why do I believe college is so important? This question is so assumed among my peers. My former pastor asked this question - and lived it with his now grown children - and I thought he was insane. Here are the reasons, in order of influence, greatest to least: 

1) Honor our immigrant family culture: Judy’s and my parents all have advanced degrees. My parents were able to come to this country because they applied and were accepted into graduate school. Judy’s dad was an obstetrician-gynecologist, attended medical school in Taiwan, and entered a residency program in the US. Education was the means by which our parents were able to economically thrive in this country. Both sets of parents saved considerable funds to pay for our college education and we both graduated with zero debt because of our parents’ largesse. Today, my parents contribute to my kids’ college fund. It would bring shame on our parents if we refused to send their grandchildren to college. 

2) Improve social status: I would estimate 95% of my friends are college-educated. Most people in my social circle are college-educated. I’ve always loved saying I’m a Cal grad. It’s not so much about school spirit as much as taking pride in my intellect. I enjoy feeling superior. That is, until I meet a Stanford or Ivy League grad. Current price tag on public school intellectual superiority: $140,000.

3) Go along with peer pressure: Related to the above, but for Judy and I our social circles in high school, there was considerable pressure. Mainly for me because I was enrolled in accelerated classes and attended an affluent high school where most of my friends were overachieving Asians whose parents worked in high-tech.

4) Get a well-paid, stable, and prestigious job: Related to the above, our parents wanted Judy and me to have a comfortable, secure income in a socially desirable industry like law, medicine, engineering, finance, business, etc.. Judy and I are presently in none of these fields. 

5) Experience living on one's own: I was told college is a great place to live on my own and learn to take care of myself. That sort of happened and yet I still buy into the narrative. 

6) Grow spiritually: In the immigrant church I grew up in, I was taught that college is a great place to grow in one’s faith - that I would be challenged and tested and yet through the process, have my faith refined and take ownership. Never mind that most Christians who grow up in the church lose their faith during college. After all, the testing phase is worth it. Also, one unfortunate byproduct of college is thinking the campus Christian fellowship culture is normative for the Christian life. The two years after college were so painful as I grieved the loss of a community that was completely unsustainable in the real-world.

7) Make life-long friendships: Meet people of similar age, background, values, interests, and intelligence who have loads of free time to hang out? Check. 

8) Network: This is the chance that my classmates will become rich, famous, and successful so I can network with them and also have riches, fame, and success. It’s now somewhat disappointing that half of my closest Cal alum friends are pastors. 

9) Meet future spouse: Meet marriageable people of similar age, background, values, interests, and intelligence? Check. Meet future spouse? Check.

10) Receive vocational training: This is the same as #4. If you’re a liberal arts major, what you study often does not directly correlate with your future occupation or graduate degree. I majored in business and it was nominally helpful at Hitachi and IBM. My most career-relevant classes were accounting, economics, and business communication (his class was fantastic). And yet, most of these areas I could have learned outside of college. 

11) Establish a classical foundation in liberal arts - knowledge, critical thinking, and writing: I took some classes at Cal under world-class professors and they were awesome. Before taking the classes I wasn’t interested in the subject matter but afterwards, I couldn’t deny the passion of the instructors and how they made the material come alive. It was partly through their influence that I realized my life and career should always involve teaching. There’s something immensely gratifying about transforming another person’s ambivalence into passion. 

In summary, my top three most significant reasons for attending college are social and cultural. That’s not surprising as socio-cultural forces exert tremendous power that we are only dimly aware of in retrospect. Only the last reason has anything to do with the pursuit of higher learning, the examination of truth, and the advancement of knowledge. The other seven can be addressed outside of college though #4 varies if you’re pursuing a technical/scientific field. 

I’m still going to push my son to improve his standardized test scores. However, I’m going to be more thoughtful about what type of higher education will benefit him most while not putting him in serious debt. Most importantly, I’m crucifying the socio-cultural pressures that pushed me to pursue status and family honor. I pray my mind would be renewed in thinking so that I would discern what is good.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Dad's Review of Passport 2 Purity

[3,100 words, 11 minute read] The sex talk is one of the most dreaded conversations parents anticipate having with their children. To make things easier, an entire industry exists to help parents with sex education. Dozens of books have been written to help parents navigate this treacherous topic with their progeny. One of the best known among evangelicals is called the Passport 2 Purity Getaway package . It is produced by FamilyLife, a division of Cru (former Campus Crusade for Christ) and consists of a five lecture CD package including a journal and exercises designed as a weekend retreat for a pre-pubescent child and his/her parent(s). Passport 2 Purity was not my initiative. Our trip came about because Judy had heard from several home-schooling mom friends how they had taken their daughters on a road trip to go through the CDs. She even heard how a mom took a trip with husband and two sons to through the curriculum. So a couple months ago, Judy suggested we take our two older boy

A Man's Review of How to Avoid Falling in Love with a Jerk

Van Epp’s RAM Model helps men set the pace in dating relationships When a man learns ballroom dance, he takes the lead and his partner follows. If he’s dancing the tango, he maintains a strong frame - right elbow up, straight posture, and a firm but gentle hand cupping his partner’s shoulder blade. Once the music starts, he moves in rhythm with the beat and takes decisive steps. He sets the pace. John Van Epp’s classic tome, How to Avoid Falling in Love with a Jerk is a ballroom dance guide for dating. It’s written to help men and women to determine the right tempo to pace their dating relationship. Though the book does not specifically address men, this Art of Manliness interview with Van Epp does. General relationship books are often addressed primarily to women, as evidenced by “jerk” in the title, which is a gendered term for men. In spite of the title, the book offers a road map for how men can lead in a dating relationship. There’s a strong case for affirming traditional

Why Asians Run Slower

My brother got me David Epstein's book The Sports Gene . It is a fascinating quick read. If you're interested in sports and science, it will enthrall you.  I finished it in three days. Epstein's point is that far more of an athlete's performance is due to genetics than due to the so-called "10,000 hour" rule promulgated by books such as Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell and Talent is Overrated by Geoff Colvin (both which are very good). The 10,000 hour rule states that any person can reach expert level of performance in a sport if they devote 10,000 hours of deliberate and intentional practice.  That's a lot of hours. Most people aren't capable of anywhere close. And that's precisely Epstein's point. Someone who devotes 10,000 hours of sport-specific practice is likely genetically gifted for the sport in extraordinary ways AND genetically gifted in their ability to persevere and benefit from practice. Therefore, a person who can pra