Skip to main content

When Everything is too Great and Marvelous

Psalm 131

1 O Lord, my heart is not lifted up;

my eyes are not raised too high; 

I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me.

2 But I have calmed and quieted my soul,

like a weaned child with its mother;

like a weaned child is my soul within me.

3 O Israel, hope in the Lord from this time forth and forevermore.


I recently preached a sermon from Psalms 131. It was a scary message to preach because my personality and temperament are diametrically opposed to calm, quiet, and not occupying myself with great and marvelous thoughts. I love noise, chaos, and thinking deep and philosophical thoughts. I seldom think a thought is too great and marvelous for me.


In light of these barriers, I spent most of the sermon highlighting all the obstacles we face in calming and quieting ourselves with God.


I talked about not getting a good night's rest. I talked about tossing and turning endlessly to find the perfect sleeping position. I confessed how, in the wee hours of the morning, I find myself tormented by my own thoughts - comparing myself with others, dreading the tasks I'm supposed to get done, and replaying mistakes and failures of the past days. 


I discussed the endless news cycle. I read headlines about Ukraine, the recession, Roe vs. Wade, and a pastor robbed of $1M in jewelry while on stage (!). I talked about most measures of health and safety improving globally but not mental health problems like depression, anxiety, and stress. 


I discussed our culture of outrage and how online media uses clickbait tactics to elicit emotional reactions. Technology has enabled our vision to extend to the horizon and beyond. We can see and hear far beyond the reach of our hands and our heart's capacity to feel. 


I alluded to focusing our thoughts and emotional energy on our sphere of influence. It's good to limit one's sphere of concern to the same radius as one's sphere of influence. Unfortunately, my sphere of influence is much smaller than I like to imagine. I can't get my dog to pee in the right place. Heck, my aim isn't that great either. 


After the sermon, a couple of people asked me how to determine when one is occupied with "things too great and marvelous". I talked about the sphere of influence and sphere of concern. I realized this answer simply raises more questions about how to determine the size of one’s spheres. Over the past weeks, I've spent a good amount of time wondering about that question - how do I know when I'm occupying myself with things too great and marvelous for me?


Finally, the irony broke through. 


If I'm obsessing about which thoughts are too great and marvelous and which aren't, maybe that's the problem. Perhaps even just the act of discerning what's too great and marvelous is, in the moment, too great and marvelous for me. Perhaps the only thing I need to occupy myself is the image in the psalm. Perhaps the safest assumption is when I'm not calm and not quiet, EVERYTHING and ANYTHING I can think about is too great and marvelous for me.


Notice this psalm doesn't give specific thoughts to ponder. God is a genius in that regard. He understands our neuroticism. Instead of a thought, God gives us a picture. It's an image of contentment - a child experiencing intimacy and affection alongside his mother. It's a picture of calm and quiet. God doesn't tell us "Think about being calm and quiet and it will happen", He gives us a picture and asks us to gaze upon it and not worry about anything else.


A  friend commented on how my sermon struck him as ironic. I hurried people back from the greeting time, spoke quickly, presented lots of information, and gave people multiple principles to apply. He didn't experience the message as meditative. 


He was right. For a moment, I felt shame and regret creeping over me. Normally, this would trigger a fixation on how I would preach the sermon differently. I felt anxiety and panic preparing to give chase. Instead, I decided those thoughts might be too great and marvelous for me and held the picture of a contented child in my head. 


I calmed down. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Dad's Review of Passport 2 Purity

[3,100 words, 11 minute read] The sex talk is one of the most dreaded conversations parents anticipate having with their children. To make things easier, an entire industry exists to help parents with sex education. Dozens of books have been written to help parents navigate this treacherous topic with their progeny. One of the best known among evangelicals is called the Passport 2 Purity Getaway package . It is produced by FamilyLife, a division of Cru (former Campus Crusade for Christ) and consists of a five lecture CD package including a journal and exercises designed as a weekend retreat for a pre-pubescent child and his/her parent(s). Passport 2 Purity was not my initiative. Our trip came about because Judy had heard from several home-schooling mom friends how they had taken their daughters on a road trip to go through the CDs. She even heard how a mom took a trip with husband and two sons to through the curriculum. So a couple months ago, Judy suggested we take our two older boy

Asian American Divorce Rate

I can't find recent data. Most of the stuff is at least five years old but by these estimates, the Asian American divorce rate is about 5%. I've got research from 2002 , 2008 for Asian Americans, and 2008 for Chinese Americans. The latest census data do not break out by race. In any case, a 5% divorce rate is about half the national average. Less divorce is a good thing. I would imagine that divorce does not bode well for personal fulfillment and many studies have shown it has a negative impact on children (too lazy to cite all the sources here). Of course, as one source argues, a lower divorce rate does not equate to a healthy marriage. There can be all kinds of abuse, dysfunction, and strife within marriage. All in all though, a lower divorce rate is one advantage of late marriage for Asian American men (and women). However, I believe a lower divorce rate is correlated with later marriage and there is no causation between the two. People who tend to be conservative,

Why Asians Run Slower

My brother got me David Epstein's book The Sports Gene . It is a fascinating quick read. If you're interested in sports and science, it will enthrall you.  I finished it in three days. Epstein's point is that far more of an athlete's performance is due to genetics than due to the so-called "10,000 hour" rule promulgated by books such as Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell and Talent is Overrated by Geoff Colvin (both which are very good). The 10,000 hour rule states that any person can reach expert level of performance in a sport if they devote 10,000 hours of deliberate and intentional practice.  That's a lot of hours. Most people aren't capable of anywhere close. And that's precisely Epstein's point. Someone who devotes 10,000 hours of sport-specific practice is likely genetically gifted for the sport in extraordinary ways AND genetically gifted in their ability to persevere and benefit from practice. Therefore, a person who can pra